1.22.2007

The most beautiful thing I've ever eaten


So, I just wanted to share with y'all the most beautiful thing I have ever eaten. I purchased it from a local farmer, and friend, Doug Jones. He runs a small organic farm on the outskirts of town and sells his produce to our local co-op and the farmers market. It's called a "fractal" cauliflower. It has such a vibrant taste too (for a cauliflower). I have never seen anything like it in my life. I guess it's a speciality of his and they are very finicky to grow.

If you look closely you can see that each peak is a spiral. What's harder to see in the photo is that each bump that forms the spiral also has spirals on it, and those have spirals. In fact, Farmer Doug (as we like to call him) has taken a magnifying glass and seen that there are actually even smaller spirals than what we can see with the naked eye. It's an amazing thing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! What a bizarre looking plant. Glad you ate it before it ate you. :-)